Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Crab Roll

Final Product
To me, this is a splurge type of dinner. Why? well because I normally don't buy crab (its kinda expensive) and my boyfriend doesn't go crabbing (salmon and rock cod are another story, got tons of that in the freezer!). Yet, since it is crab season in Santa Cruz (January), I could hardly resist the local fresh crab in the seafood section at Whole Foods. And yes, it was a splurge. It was $10 for 1/4 pound of fresh, dungeness, precooked/pre-cleaned crab meat. I justified the high price with the fact that:

1. I never buy the stuff
2. Crab is so good for you, low in fat and low in calories, high in protein
3. Shrimp was way to expensive
4. I had this awesome recipe I wanted to try, using crab.

So here it is. The awesome recipe that I will definitely be making again. This would also make a yummy, easy lunch. I paired this with the kale salad and it was delicious!

Crab Roll

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
Juice of 1 lemon
5 dashes hot sauce (tabasco, tapatio, etc.)
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked ground pepper
1 teaspoon grated garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup chives, chopped
1/4 - 1/3 fresh crab meat, cooked
4 leaves green leaf lettuce
2 whole wheat hot dog buns

Directions:

  • Combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice, hot sauce, pepper, garlic, chives and celery in medium size bowl. Whisk together.
  • Add crab meat to mayo mixture
  • Mix crab gently with mayo mixture
  • Refrigerate mixture for about 20 minutes
  • Toast hot dog buns
  • Line each bun with lettuce and divide the crab filling among the buns.
Alvarado Street hot dog buns, a favorite
Yields 2 rolls
Nutrition Facts per 1 roll:
Calories: 300 Fat: 12 g. Saturated Fat: 1 g. Carbohydrates: 30 g. Sodium: 600 mg. Fiber: 3 g.  Protein: 20 g.

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! This looks too good! Maybe I'll have to splurge and try it too :)

    ReplyDelete